Ernest Clyde Daniels thumbnail

Ernest Clyde "Ernie" Daniels

Passed Away: January 17, 2020

Ernest’s obituary

My dad, Ernest Clyde Daniels of Virginia Beach, VA, 77, passed away peacefully in his sleep at Norfolk Heart Hospital on January 17, 2020. He had Encarditis, which compromised his heart valves.

He will be joining his wife/my mom, Joan Daniels, up in the clouds of Neverland and No-Taxes, whilst his daughter, me, lives on, travels, works in Marketing, misses her parents, and never stops learning. And, dad, thanks for teaching me so much in life.

Examples of his “teachings”:
Learn to fix your own car or learn how to haggle down the price of someone else to fix it!
Don’t trust anyone who claims they know it all
Don’t trust ANY teenaged boy knocking at the door or calling you in high school
Don’t trust any boy or guy, unless proven otherwise
Don’t go out after midnight. Nothing good happens after midnight.
Don’t lie to me. If I wouldn’t want to know, please lie to me..
Put unleaded gas in the unleaded gas car
Keep at least half of a tank of gas in your car at all times
Pull over in a safe place if a cop pulls you over. He could be a kidnapper!
Don’t believe all that you read online. It could be fake news!
You are who you hang out with.
Treat others the way you want to be treated
Hot sauce goes well with EVERYTHING! Carry it on you, just in case!
Always ask for a raise, though make sure you deserve it!
If you don’t ask, you don’t get
It’s okay to to laugh at your own jokes
Don’t take life too seriously.
Learn to say no to shit that you don’t want to do. Life’s too short.
Slow down!
Don’t smoke or do drugs

I could go on with his life lessons, though he led by example.

My dad, Ernest, or as some call him Ernie, was born in Laurinburg, NC and enjoyed all of his friends and cousins, always playing outside, tons of energy and creativity, and played the Cornet in the marching band. He was also an avid prankster, as a child, smathering ketchup on his chest and pretending he was dead on the kitchen floor—-when his parents returned home, his mother fainted. I also heard that he had braces and used to yank them off and his parents would begrudgingly send him back to the dentist to have them put back on. He said that they hurt too much!

He went to several colleges, Montreat Anderson, playing basketball there and just a tad of boxing….enlisting in the Army as an officer and serving in the Vietnam War from 1966-69, obtaining 2 purple hearts and finally graduating with a B.A. from University of Jacksonville, FL. He immediately attained a career in Sales for an international shipping company, taking charge of the European market and subsequently, Latin America. He was initially based in New Orleans, LA, where he met my mom, Joan, who worked for the same company!

After I was born, mom and dad moved to Laredo, TX for his L. America job and we enjoyed a life of warm weather, crossing the border to Mexico every weekend for dinner, and mom and dad going to dinner parties or having bbq’s with our Mexican neighbors.

8 years later, Dad moved us to Virginia Beach, where he wanted a new career that didn’t require a suit and loads of international travel (more family time). He became a Real Estate Agent and Broker and excelled for over 30 years in this market.

Dad spent his free time taking us out to dinner, overseeing slumber parties, reminding me when my curfew was, placing me under restrictions, playing golf, fishing and bird watching, playing in billiard tournaments, teaching me how to shoot at the firing range, and spending loads of time doing anything and everything with mom.

My mom was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and her health declined each year. Dad spent lots loving time taking care of her, making her laugh, taking her to doctor’s appointments, and enjoying the time they had before she passed 11 years ago. He’s a hell of a caregiver, always there when you need him!

After retirement, dad led a peaceful retirement with some travel stints to Louisiana, NYC, and Peru to visit me. He still enjoyed fishing and watching golf and reconnecting with all of his friends from Laurinburg when he made a Facebook account 🙂

I was at his side when he left us at 3:30 pm on a sunny Friday afternoon, with the chaplain in the room. Perfect timing, huh, dad!? I love you. I’m glad that I was able to be with you during your peaceful transition.


Services are to be held at Arlington National Cemetery on a later date.

Life Event Timeline

Help tell the story of Ernie by contributing to the Life Event Timeline. Upload the photo of an event...

Post an Event

Leave a Condolence

View All Condolences Post a Condolence

What our families say...

Altmeyer also provides beautiful memory boards full of pictures of a resident and familiar sayings or inspirational words.  These boards have provided many people comfort and happy memories.


A Session ID is required to purchase jewelry with your loved one's fingerprint, click here to continue. If you do not have an ID, click here to contact us to get your Session ID.