Wesley Young Lammay, 81, went to be with the Lord on August 3, 2020. Wes was born to the late Alfred and Melissa Lammay on September 13, 1938 in Charleroi, Pennsylvania.
– 1956 graduation from Charleroi High School, in Charleroi, Pa.
– He worked for Pittsburgh Steel in their accounting department
– 1959 Met Marilyn his wife at a High School Youth for Christ meeting
– 1960 He and Marilyn married, member and leader of Pricedale Union Church youth group
– 1961 Bible quiz team coach for Youth for Christ and served as a Washington County Youth for Christ Board Member. He was also a volunteer with Youth for Christ, doing youth “clubs” and “rallies” under Executive Director “Murf” Polan.
– 1963 He was asked by Murf and the Board to assume the Executive Director position when Murf took another assignment within Youth for Christ
– 1964 Wes and the Youth for Christ Board asked Murf to return to his former position with Wes serving as Director of Ministry and training of staff. Working together, their Campus Life Clubs multiplied throughout Washington County, Pennsylvania, and beyond. Many new staff members were added to the organization through God’s direction, under their leadership through the next 27 years.
– His ministry through those years was a gift from God, and an exciting adventure with a fantastic team of volunteers who were led by the Lord to serve the youth of Western Pennsylvania.
– Wes and the staff won national Bible quiz team and talent championships, and both Wes and Murf received Eastern Area Directors of the Year Awards through God’s grace and the work of many dedicated volunteer staff who cared deeply for the youth of the area. Most importantly, were the lives of the young people who were changed through the great work of God in this ministry. Many of these young people went on to ministries of their own, and many more positively impacted the lives of others through their ministry.
– During these years he worked for Chartiers Houston high school as football team equipment manager and chaplain, he was asked to do Values Clarification classes for students in local middle schools, and was also a guest lecturer at California University of Pennsylvania on how teachers could best communicate with students in schools. He was also asked to be the leader of the local minister’s Ministerium (interdenominational organization of local Christian ministers). Wes also was asked to come to the Virginia Beach area to train church youth leaders in seminars.
– 1990 Called to head the Youth Ministry department at Kempsville Presbyterian Church in Virginia Beach, Virginia where he continued to serve the Lord for seven more years before retiring.
– 1997 Retirement from KPC
– He has gone to be with his Lord and will be greatly missed by all of his family and friends as he begins his new adventure with God.
Wes is preceded in death by his parents, Alfred Lammay and Melissa Young Lammay; sister, Della Lammay and his brother Alfred James Lammay.
Left to cherish his memory is his loving wife of 60 years, Marilyn Lammay; son, Wesley Lammay & his wife Marie; daughter, Jodee Lammay; grandchildren, Daniel Lammay and Michael Lammay and many friends.
Services for Wes will be private.